Wednesday, August 23, 2006

RNA vs protein

The results are in: sxy transcript levels vary much less dramatically between mutants and between growth conditions than do Sxy protein levels. This suggests that RNA secondary structure has it's greatest effect post-transcriptionally by influencing translation.

Yesterday's real time pcr experiment gave nice results consistent both with expectations (ie. more RNA in hypercompetent mutants and less in "hypocompetent" mutants) and with microarray results (ie. RNA levels increase in WT cells as cell growth slows at the onset of stationary phase). Today I have been crunching yesterday's RNA results, reanalyzing old protein data, and learning to use the new fluorescence scanner in our department (which will be used this week for western blot detection). Tomorrow I start the latest round of western blots, and then some beautiful gel pictures for our manuscript.

3 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger LindsayAWilson said...

And it only worked because you were working to a disco beat. (BTW, Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe of PSB are about as culturally erudite as pop stars get, and I resent your implication that they are a pair of mindless hedonists, rather than being most happy whilst reading Iris Murdoch novels, or musing about whether to listen to West Side Story or The Well-Tempered Clavier. Anyone who can coin the lines "But in the back of my mind, I heard a distant feat; Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat" and write such posied, romantic and fabulously discoteca songs deserves utter adoration.) Erm, I should perhaps also comment on your RNA results, but I can't think of anything to say except "that's really interesting and a very satisfying result".

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Rosie Redfield said...

Nice. Today I'll get back to working on the Sxy manuscript.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Rosie Redfield said...

Hmm, I don't really think you need to see my photo with every comment - I wonder if I acn change that while still keeping the photo on my own blog....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home